Gutter clawed open the door of the van hastily, sticking out a tiny, mechanized grapnel gun. Two more white Chevrolet Blazers gained on them, crazenly swerving. "You ready?" he said to Ron, a foot out the door.
"No..." Ron replied. Before he could utter another word, Gutter stole him, and the two launched out, clinging onto the grappling rope. The heavy, anchor-like hook clobbered against a yellow tuk-tuk's exposed yellow frame, grabbing on. "The Consulate, please," Gutter ordered the worried driver. He dunked a few coins into the man's rattling change cup.
They returned back to the crowded city streets of Mexicali, dodging pedestrians, ugly beater cars, and lone peddlers, all clustered in any available crevice of the roadways. Ron swept a slow-moving vendor's cart for a broad-brimmed sombrero, and stuck it on his head.
One of The Ring's henchmen leapt from their green motorcycle, kicking into a rough slide. He swung to the tuk-tuk, shirt fluttering, holding onto a loose rung beneath the seats. His hair brushed the concrete curb, flying into his face.
"Some motherfucker is always going to try and ice skate uphill," Ron muttered. The writer jammed a foot in the center of the henchman's face once, then once more for good measure, sending him rolling into a flock of carts.
Gutter joked, "Here's a penny for your thoughts," and flipped another coin into the bruised cup, to the driver's excitement.
The gunslinger spun the cylinder of his silver revolver, and slapped it shut with a few rounds. A Chevrolet Blazer, gunner at the draw, closed in, flashing its headlights.
"There's a fucking big ass robot in the clouds," yelled a homeless man with a thick, burly beard, akin to God himself.
Gutter peppered the SUV's windshield with a light sprinkling of bullets, gunning the henchmen down. The driver of the Chevy slumped over in his seat, blasting the horn before slamming into the side of a rusty Texaco tanker. The sweet, viscous stream of oil gushed out, lighting up into a fiery plume, blowing the whole block back into the Stone Age.
"Gracias," said Ron with a smile on his face.
The tuk-tuk driver jetted off after dropping the two in front of the U.S. Consulate, a gigantic, hulking box of gridded concrete. Gutter and Ron stepped into the towering lobby, strewn with boxes of documents and ammunition boxes. Two Marines stood at the end of the hall, both tinkering with the lobby coffee machine. It continued to drip out a sluggy, charcoal lookalike liquid.
"Hey, Gutter," one of them turned, "Ricardo Galvan's at the Secure Unit. Click 'Penthouse.'" He handed Gutter a dirty keycard, stained with a mark of Sharpie.
"Thanks, Baker."
They entered the Consulate elevator, enclosed by glossy panels of mahogany, emblazoned with the State Department seal. "I guess I've always been a delicate man," the writer said. "But, I didn't mean to let it get so far out of hand."
Gutter replied, "Well, Ron, I am but a midwife to disaster, but I'm having the time of my life!"
With a jerky rumble, the elevator doors shuffled open to the Penthouse deck. "Ah," Gutter said, strolling in with lengthy steps. "The opulent whale."
He looked up at a giant statue of a bulbous Chris Christie, suspended from the glass ceiling by iron cables. The Ring's leader, Ricardo Galvan, sat atop his desk and glanced in Gutter's direction. "Long time no see, friend."
"′Friend′ is an overstatement."
"You're still the same." Ricardo chuckled and peered out one of the Penthouse's large, thirty-foot windows. In the distance, thunder rolled from underneath the Mothership. It rolled a six. "Be careful not to choke on my charm."
Gutter sat himself down in a cushy armchair and pulled out a small deck of cards. Ricardo cut the deck to the Queen of Spades, but the cards were all the same. He frowned, sat down in his desk chair, and took a swig of red whisky.
"Pennies to dimes," Ricardo said, tears forming in his eyes.
"And dimes to pennies," Gutter said.
He kicked the chair softly, and Ricardo gave one last grin, tumbling out the Penthouse window to the smoky streets below. In the backwash of Fennario, the black and bloody mire, the Dire Wolf collected his dues, while the boys sang 'round the fire...
Two Days Later
JAN
JAN
JAN
0
0
0
0
0
0
2
2
2
0
0
0
2
2
2
6
6
6
"Is this Ron?" a strange, high-pitched voice hollered over the radio. "Hello?"
"Sure,"
Ron replied hesitantly.
"Reality's pretty hard to find when you're living in a fantasy..."
The transmission cut to static, and a bright blur streaked across the sky, bouncing off the atmosphere's fleeting vestiges.
"Godspeed," Ron sent back a final message.
"Take care," the Zetan said, "Over and out."
In the buzzing Chart Room Bar, locked onto a sandy spit beside the muddy mess known as Duval Street, Ron took a seat. The band struck up, the Sun went down, and Pirate King bought another round. Rumors flew, "Mermaids are in town," down in Key West Town.
"Made it just in time for a margarita," Laura said, piling into the bar with Mike, as sweaty as a dandelion, swaying in the smoky winds of Beirut. Jamie trailed closely, arms linked with a blonde bimbo and a quiet, yet striking brunette. And sat Gutter somewhere in a corner lined with tropical memorabilia, chatting up a nutjob.
"You can't spell 'emu' without 'me' and 'you,'" Barb nestled her chin on
Ron's shoulder, and drenched him in a warm hug.
Without another word from either of them, they kissed 'neath the rusty tin panel roof, coated with brilliant blues and reds, cast from the firework-dotted skies above the harbor.
-
Written by Jerry Zervas on July 4, 2026.
DO NOT USE UNLESS GIVEN PERMISSION BY ME (i.e. email
me)
-
And, I'd like to thank you all for a real good time:
Cody, my vague editor
Bash, been there since the beginning
Gav, it was about time you read a little
Nate, I wouldn't be here without your input
Emily, thanks (the boring way)
Jace, your backpack is made of air
Jarred, for all things Egypt
WL, for the midnight thoughts
Alice, for bringing me to Dr. House
Briar, I don't know what I'd do without you
Garrett, you said something
Megan (and Ryan), for the review of the bored folk
Jimmy Failla, for the inspiration and the single review
KCorke, for the cheerful thoughts
Thomas Lemire, for all things history and for all the world's niceties
Geoffrey Favakeh, thanks for unlocking the door to the writer's room
I wouldn't be here without my mom and dad (quite literally), and thank you to my Uncle Mark for his service to our country and his thoughts.
And the island nation of St. Eustatius!
And, I leave you all with a closing quote on this Fourth of July (and the 250th):
"You can be a Republican, you can be a Democrat, just don't be a dick."
Nice job. I like all the Fallout references and Grateful Dead references. Keep up the action packed good work. - Garrett
ReplyDeleteGreat read this deserves more attention for sure
ReplyDeletereminds me of.."person, women, man, camera, tv"
ReplyDeleteAmazing writing ! Seeing the growth of a young writer has been wonderful to watch and I cannot wait to see what comes next. The fine details and acceptance of comments/criticism is what I believe makes you such a great writer.
ReplyDeletegood read
ReplyDelete10/10
Great story, enjoy reading your stuff
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteStarted reading the story from the initial ‘chapter’ end of 2025…
I read “Lemonade” a while ago and really liked it. Lot of great descriptive language. I read “Lemonworld” and immediately thought it was a bridge piece, which was fine but not as strong as Lemonade in my opinion.
So I was looking forward to the next chapter, which was darker than the bridge and also strong like Lemonade so I enjoyed it… but I think “Midnight Spin” needed to explain how Rocky got into the cabin. Minor complaint from an engaged reader!
I think it’s a cool to structure a story in this fashion and I’m looking forward to the next chapter(s).
I like the creative direction and terrific use of language - honestly some real talent there :)
Thanks for sending the text as a prompt to read the latest installment!
Uncle Mark
——/
From Feb. 15, 2026
Read both Feb. installments. I liked the surprise inclusion of the M249, which I used while in the Army. I’m pretty sure we were one of the first units to test/use it as that was back in 1983/1984. It Would be VERY challenging to drive and manipulate it at the same time as indicated!
I like the threads that have held the story together, but there were also many disparate parts. Not sure if this the last installment as seems to be indicated by the last line “This was the story he wrote, the one with a happy ending”.
Thus far, I’m a bigger fan of the tense parts with elements of uncertainty more than the blatantly confrontational parts. Also a fan of earlier versions which gave some insight into character background. Curious - was there an inspiration for this story or has it materialized independently over time?
When all pieces are completed I’ll go back and re-read the story in its entirety to see if the overarching theme matches the pieces as they come together… some writers just go with the flow and some have a story arc fleshed out and then build around that.
But thus fare there has been a lot of good creative writing and interesting subplots so I think it’s been very successful…
——/
From May 03, 2026
Finally had a chance to read all the pieces. First off - a lot of great, descriptive writing - across all stories. Secondly, my favorite piece of the group is “Naked Unicorn 35”.
This was really nicely written and felt as though it was transportive - as if I was there. I really enjoy that in a story, especially a short story. Something about the setting with Sax music playing initially, Ron and Barb reconnecting, and ending with a Jimmy Buffet song… really well done!
My second favorite piece was “One if by Clam, Two if by Sea”. Nice to see some personal details (pictures of your mom and dad). Really captured the feel of a vacation and again really nicely written :)
The pieces involving family guy-related material was not my thing. The stories were nicely written and honestly if the characters were those you have used before or new characters then I would have been more partial to them. That being said I was reading the story lines and picturing family guy images so in that sense the writing was very strong.
Those are my honest thoughts on all the pieces. Sorry it took so long to carve a little time to read through them and provide some thoughts. I have to say it was a very pleasant break this morning to read the creative efforts you put forward and truly appreciate that you shared them. I’m impressed with the quality and creativity of your writing!
Looking forward to future efforts of yours :) keep up the terrific writing :)
——/
June 03, 2026
ReplyDeleteI really liked these last stories! I'll the-read them again later but first impression was really positive. Thanks for sharing them :)
——/
June 13, 2026
I don’t think Mexicali has high rise buildings?
The last four iterations including today’s are really interesting. Looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds. I’m enjoying a regular infusion of your short stories/chapters quite a bit!
JZ Reply: “Glad you enjoyed it! And you are correct. Mexicali does not have high rises, but the story is set in 2076. I wanted it to feel old and smoggy and run down despite the modern timeline.
——/
July 14, 2026
Finally had some quiet time to read the last installment…
First, some really strong writing again!
One my favorite lines: “Well, Ron, I am but a midwife to disaster”. Not sure why, but it hit exactly right… really clever use of words!
Another line I liked a lot: “Be careful not to choke on my charm” could easily be a central theme or line in a song.
Finally, “sweaty as a dandelion, swaying in the smoky winds of Beirut” is a killer line!
I looked up Dandelion and Beirut and learned that the leaves are a staple in some Lebanese dishes so I learned something new from the intrigue of that line :)
Those three lines from the finale show a significant increase in the strength of your writing. I have fully enjoyed reading the ‘chapters’ as they were published. Next I will read the entire series in a morning sitting with a cup of coffee to get the feel of the uninterrupted story arc. Notably, even with intermittent reading the story held together well. I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning and the end, which is always critical to an excellent story and the middle provided enough solid reading that it never fell flat.
So my impression has been incredibly positive and I’ve truly enjoyed reading the story. It has been a great way to get a nice break, that I looked forward to, from the everyday routine and that is a solid credit to any writer!
Thanks for your effort. It was really well done with super interesting and diverse characters. I also like that the ending is always open to future endeavors.
——/
I have been reading the chapters for 6 months and genuinely have been engaged and have looked forward to all the writing. I love how the story evolved and the consistently excellent characters. As mentioned a number of times I found some incredibly strong lines that helped anchor the story. It was a real pleasure to be immersed in the world you created through your writing!